Multiple frameworks have been designed in the past to facilitate the discussion between different software development stakeholders and improve software project outcomes. The aim here has been to effectively organize requirements gathering and ensure that what is delivered is what is needed. One of the frameworks that have enjoyed significant adoption in organizations of diverse characters is the TOGAF.
The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF), as mentioned on the official website, is the open Enterprise Architecture standard designed to improve business efficiency. It helps organizations achieve a huge Return on Investment (ROI) for their digital transformation initiatives. It follows an approach to design, plan, implement, and govern enterprise IT architecture. The latest version, TOGAF 9 involves a systematic approach that allows organizations to maintain deadlines, reduce errors, handle budgets, and align IT with business units. There are four architecture domains on which the TOGAF is based:
- Business architecture
- Data architecture
- Applications architecture
- Technical architecture
The TOGAF certification is a trusted vendor-neutral certification that showcases an individual’s commitment to enterprise architecture as a discipline. Through this certification, you will come to know about a basic vocabulary used by architects in an organization while discussing some complex scenarios. Further, it describes the artifacts to be generated for each Architecture development, categorizing them and storing them. This means that even if an organization hires a new architect, he would be familiar with what documents to seek when they have any questions.
TOGAF 9 Certification Levels
There are two certifications available for this framework:
- TOGAF 9 Foundation – This certification is meant to test your knowledge of the TOGAF basic concepts, structure, terminology, and the core principles of Enterprise Architecture and the TOGAF standard.
- TOGAF 9 Certified – This certification validates that an individual has not only gained the knowledge and comprehension of the TOGAF 9 Foundation but is also able to analyze and apply his knowledge.
You can either go through the above certifications step by step or apply for a TOGAF 9 Combined Part 1 and 2 exam directly. The second option is for those individuals who want to achieve Level 2 certification directly in a single examination.
The TOGAF Foundation certification holder is a professional having thorough knowledge of the following:
- The ADM cycle and the objectives of each phase
- The Enterprise Continuum concept
- The importance of ADM phases to the success of Enterprise Architecture
- Contribution of the Architecture Governance to the Architecture Development Cycle
- The concept of building blocks
- The TOGAF reference models
- The key deliverables of the ADM cycle
The TOGAF 9 Part 1 exam consists of 40 multiple choice questions with a time limit of 60 minutes.
The TOGAF 9 Certified qualification is awarded to a candidate having a clear understanding of the following concepts:
- How to apply the ADM phases in the development of an Enterprise Architecture
- How to apply the TOGAF architecture content framework
- How to apply the stakeholder management technique
- How to apply the TOGAF recommended techniques when developing an Enterprise Architecture
- How an enterprise architecture can be partitioned to meet the specific needs of an organization
The TOGAF certification is beneficial for a number of job roles like a business analyst, project manager, IT architect, process engineer, software architect, and architects who wish to introduce the TOGAF standard into an architecture practice.
Why is the TOGAF Certification Important?
There are a number of reasons why TOGAF certification is important for your career. Firstly, there is high demand for enterprise architects. Today, IT technology and architecture have become integrated into the success of an organization. And savvy companies are adopting TOGAF to plan how their business’s enterprise architecture is managed on a short-term and long-term basis. As a certification holder, TOGAF professionals share common knowledge and expertise that can assist in identifying business needs better.
When it comes to career prospects, enterprise architects have impressive growth opportunities. With a TOGAF certification, you can demonstrate that you have been trained by an industry-acknowledged board and are skilled in concepts that are pertinent to the field. Apart from the IT industry, enterprises like hospitals, banks, and engineering sectors also look for TOGAF certified enterprise architects to solve their enterprise management problems.
The TOGAF certification helps you explore a vast number of skills like knowledge of business cases, strategic planning, and processes. You will develop enterprise architecture skills like modeling, application and role design, and system integration. Moreover, you will gain project management skills, legal knowledge like contract law, data protection laws, procurement laws, among others. When it comes to soft skills, a TOGAF certification helps you polish leadership, communication, and team-building skills.
Many renowned companies have already adopted the TOGAF standard like HP, IBM, Deloitte, Oracle, Capgemini, and Cisco. Evidently, there is good demand for TOGAF certified enterprise architects in such organizations. They even pay high salaries to certified enterprise architects for implementing TOGAF methodologies and transforming their businesses. So, when are you planning to get TOGAF certified and reap the various benefits associated with it?